Monday, April 19, 2010

*My Team* by Adair

Ok, a couple of disclaimers here: 1. I am not a runner, never have been, never will be. Anything I know about running I have learned courtesy of Coach Gina and the Running Fit 501 team. 2. I LOVE *my* team! I call them my team because I have the privilege of pouring water for them at the water stops on Tuesday practices and most Saturday long runs, and I get to know them by bits and pieces. I've seen how hard they train, how they care for each other and support each other. I've seen them run on days so cold that their eyelashes freeze; in snow up to their calves; on ice that would challenge the Detroit Redwings Hockey team; in downpours that would be challenging to drive in, much less run through; on days hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement (well, almost, maybe, but you get the idea.) There may be some friendly competition between members, but when the rubber meets the road, they are all there for each other. They cheer for each other, they strategize races, they rally at the finish line for a late finisher. They are, in the best sense of the word, a family...........a family created not by birth but by choice. Sometimes family members move on, and new members join, but it's like an ever-expanding circle....it just keeps getting bigger. When Asia was invited to join the Team 4 years ago, we had no idea where it would end up. Little did we know how warmly and completely she would be embraced by the Team. Little did we know that there would be a place for us too. We are so happy to be a part of that family.

1 comment:

  1. It's so comforting to see you at the water stops and at races cheering us on, Adair. You really are a special person in our running family. xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete